- Corneal Cell Biology Lab
- Bioengineering of Corneal Stroma
- Restoration of vision in scarred corneas usually involves cornea transplantation using donated tissues.
- The supplies of such tissues are dwindling and very limited in many parts of the world spurring interest in artificial corneas.
- The CCBL has found that adult stem cells produce a cornea-like tissue but it is not abundant or organized enough to serve as a corneal replacement.
- The goals of this project are to use electrospun polymeric scaffolding to help organize tissue secreted by corneal stem cells in order to produce a transparent bioengineered corneal substitute.