The Louis J. Fox Center for Vision Restoration offers an innovative cross-disciplinary Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Ocular Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Ophthalmology (OTERO).
The OTERO program research teams aim to restore, maintain or enhance the functions of the eye through regenerative medicine-based technologies.
OTERO is a postdoctoral research program where each fellow studies under co-investigators, one of whom is a UPMC clinician who specializes in ophthalmology, and the other investigator is a scientist that is a leader in regenerative medicine technologies. Together they will recruit and mentor a Postdoctoral Fellow.
The budget for each project is $70,000 and the duration of the project is one year.
Selected research projects will:
- Facilitate multidisciplinary research involving clinical faculty in the Ophthalmology department and scientific faculty at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Pursue an idea that, if successful, will provide radical improvement to the treatment and prevention of vision impairment.
- Offer the potential for a revolutionary therapeutic approach as opposed to an evolutionary therapeutic approach.
- Present the potential for fast translation from the research stage to clinical therapy.
- Offer the promise to advance the hypothesis and provide sufficient data at the end of one year for NIH submission.
Components of the OTERO Fellowship:
- Professional development series (delivered via lecture, podcast, and video conferencing). Topics are appropriate to the OTERO field of training.
- Professional society meetings relevant in the designated focus areas for fellows presenting original research findings.
- Participation in the McGowan Institute Annual Scientific Retreat.
- Participation in annual international regenerative ophthalmology conference in Pittsburgh and monthly lecture series.
- Opportunities to present posters and meet with potential donors.
- Special section on the Fox Center website.
Below is the required application. Please submit it firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2015:
OTERO Application Form : /sites/default/files/u30/OTERO%202015.pdf
- Applications to be submitted by August 15, 2015
- Announcement of successful candidates following review
- Recruitment and hiring of Post-doctoral Fellows
- Project start: January 1, 2016
We look forward to your applications. For any questions or concerns please e-mail Pam Stewart at email@example.com.